Complaints Policy – Additional Information

We want to make your experience count. The doctors and staff at this practice are committed to providing high quality health care and services to patients. This policy explains how you can comment, compliment or complain about the service you have received.

If you wish to comment or compliment our services please write to Dawn Brewer, practice manager, at the surgery address.

We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. Our system meets the national criteria.

How to complain

It is best to tell a member of staff about any concerns or problems as soon as they arise and they will try to sort them out. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way, and you wish to make a complaint, please let us have the details.

The sooner we look into the matter the easier it will be to establish what happened. Complaints should be made in writing so, if you make a complaint verbally, we will write to you summarising your complaint to ensure we have understood it.

There is a limit of a maximum of twelve months for making a complaint however, in exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to investigate the issue outside this time if there are good reasons why the matter could not be raised earlier and it is still possible to investigate it.

Complaints should be made in writing and addressed to Dawn Brewer, practice manager, who is responsible for handling complaints. Alternatively, you can write to Dr Andrew Cross, our lead doctor for this area. We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days of receipt and invite you to discuss the manner in which your complaint will be dealt with, including the timescale.

Please tell us how you would like your complaint to be resolved, for example:

  • Over the phone
  • At a meeting
  • With a written response
  • And the outcome you hope for

It helps us if you can give us as full details as possible about your complaint.

We will look into your complaint to:

  • Find out what happened and whether something went wrong
  • Invite you to discuss the problem with those involved, if you would like this
  • Apologise where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again

Where you can get assistance

If you need independent advice or support about your complaint, the following organisations may be able to help:

Healthwatch Surrey

Telephone: 0303 303 0023

Or visit the website:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Visit their website at:

Action against Medical Accidents (AVMA)

Telephone: 0845 1232352

Or visit their website at:

Guildford & Waverley Clinical Commissioning Group

Dominion House
Woodbridge Road

Telephone: 01483 405450

Or visit their website at:

Surrey County Council for Social Care Enquiries

Telephone: 0300 200 1005

Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC)

This is the provider of the the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy in Surrey working in partnership with Healthwatch Surrey.

Telephone: 01483 310500
Text: 07704 265377
Surrey Independent Living Council
Coniers Way

Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving a service, or has received a service, can complain. You can complain for yourself or for someone else. We may need to disclose information from the patient’s medical records. If you complain for a friend or relative you must have their written consent to represent them unless they are incapable of providing this. If the patient has died or lacks capacity we will need proof that you are an appropriate person as determined by law.

What to do next if you are still unhappy

If you are not satisfied with the way we have dealt with your complaint, you can make a request for an independent review by contacting the Ombudsman:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower
Millbank, London

Telephone: 0345 0154033
Visit the website at:

Please remember

  • We want you to let us know if you are unhappy or have a suggestion about how we can do things better
  • All complaints are treated in the strictest confidence.
  • Making a complaint will not affect your treatment or care.